Monday, August 2, 2010

Warning: NOT For The Diabetic


Neeley and I just shared the yummiest dessert. Now, mind you this is not for the faint of heart...er...diabetic, and yes I know this. So please don't lecture me after reading through this recipe. LOL It really was quite tasty and perfect for this time of year. Let me know what you think if you make it!

Orange Layer Cake With Buttercream Frosting And Berries

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of two 10-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. Who am I kidding? I just used a 9x13 pan and called it done. :)

Whisk 4 1/2 cups cake flour, 4 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer (btw...wanna know how old mine is/was? Well, let's just say that with this recipe...this cake is on the dense side...mine started smoking and fire was coming out of it. Yep, 13 years old!), beat 2 1/4 sticks of butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with 1 1/2 cups milk in 2 additions (Confession...I just divided up the flour and put it in a half at a time and I just now realized I totally forgot to add the milk to my cake. No wonder it is like cornbread!), beating until well blended between additions. Using clean dry beaters, beat 9 egg whites until foamy. Gently add in 1/2 cup sugar. Once mixed, gently fold this mixture in to the cake mixture. Divide the batter in to two cake pans, or just use a cake pan like I did. Bake until done, about 40 minutes. Allow to cool.

Mix glaze: 1 box of powdered sugar, 12 oz cream cheese, 2 sticks of butter, a tsp of orange extract, and 1/4 cup orange marmalade. Delicious! Spread glaze over cooled cake.

Serve with fresh chilled strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries. Oh my! Not sure how much of this will be left for tomorrow!

I'd say she liked it. What do you think?

No comments: