Thursday, December 10, 2009

What A Trip!

Yesterday I chaperoned Neeley's school field trip. We all got on the bus and headed downtown to the Komoedie Marquardt and saw Aladdin und die Magische Lampe, or Aladdin and the Magic Lamp.

We had some free time between the time we got to the parkplatz downtown and the start of the play so we were allowed to spend a few minutes at the Christmas market. We are lucky because the theater is right in the middle of the downtown Christmas market. We had a great time!

Here are some of the girls riding a Ferris Wheel they had. Neeley is on the right with her back to the camera. She wasn't showing her back on purpose, there were just many, many little girls crammed in there. :)


This is the mini village in the area of the mini train...


Look at these local people standing around watching all of our cute lil American kiddos! :) They kept snapping pictures of all of our kids and saying "you are so beautiful" or "you are so handsome".


My group wanted to ride on the train. Neeley is in the front, looking the other direction.


Choo-Choo!!



They LOVED the train!


Well, that was until about the fifth go-round at 5 mph. By this time, she was sick of it I think. LOL


Before the trip was over, I was introduced to this delectable delight by another mom who is a good friend. Thank you, Stephanie, for introducing me to Germknodel. Mom and Dad, I think you would like this one! To describe it to you, I looked up the definition online because I certainly couldn't do so myself...

Germknödel is a fluffy yeast dough dumpling with a mix of poppy seeds and sugar, filled with spicy plum jam and melted butter on top, often eaten with vanilla cream sauce.

The word Germknödel translates into English as yeast dumpling.



Germknödel is usually a spherical or bun-shaped dessert. The dessert's main ingredient is a yeast dough with sugar and fat, usually butter, added to the dough. The dumpling is filled with Powidl, a sweet and spicy plum jam. The dumpling is steamed and then served still hot with either melted butter or vanilla dessert sauce, and topped with crushed poppy seeds and sugar.



Oh my, oh my, oh my! That is all I can say. Ours had the vanilla sauce and cinnamon and sugar on top. And yes, that is two forks in it because there is absolutely no way I could finish that thing by myself. I was absolutely delicious! I am so glad that we have good friends here who introduce us to new things. This is something I would have never in a million years picked for myself and I enjoyed every bit of it...with my Starbuck's. LOL Oh how I wish I could send you each one of these or even attempt to make them. So good! Sweet and the plum is very subtle but oh so tasty! Yum, Yum! I think I may have to get another to share with the rest of my family soon. :)



We had the best time! I am so glad that we are getting to have these experiences! I know I say that a lot, and I said several times today to Neeley and some of her friends "Wow, this is some field trip! Who else can say they got to go to a German Christmas market, see a play in German, eat yummy local food, and even ride rides all on a field trip!"

I will definitely be signing up again for the next field trip! :)


1 comment:

Kendra said...

That looks like so much fun! What a cool area that typical tourists don't get to see. And the food sounds YUMMY!