Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Know I Will Never Forget

Do you remember where you were on September 11, 2001?



That day is a day I know I will never forget. I still just can't even tell you how I was feeling that day. I had just gone back to work after having Neeley. At that time, she was just two and a half months old. I was already a tired mess. And I was the only military wife working at the company I was with. I was totally clueless about the initial attack. When I got to work, I was ambushed by my boss and ALL of my coworkers, who were just trying to make sure I was okay. I was originally told to go pick up Neeley and take her to Ronnie and for the three of us to stay together. Ronnie was at work. My boss made my coworkers get back to work, and then he brought me a tv and hooked it up and brought it all up online. I immediately called Ronnie at work. And the rest is history. I was scared. I was scared for selfish reasons at first, with Ronnie in the military. And then I was scared for our country. And I was scared for that precious baby of mine that I just wanted in my arms at that very moment.

I stayed at work that day, but needless to say, no work was done. I spent the better part of the day in tears, watching the twin towers crumble over and over and over and over. That was in no way therapeutic, but now that I look back at it, I think I just really didn't know how to react. I wanted to run and hide, I wanted my lil family all together, I wanted to understand this mess. And I was afraid my hubby was leaving for some far away place and never to return. He never had to leave but still....there was that possibility and I think I felt sheer terror each and every day for about the next year.

So, once again, as I've said a million times before... I am
sooooooooooo thankful for and proud of my soldier hubby, for those who stand right along with him today, and others who have gone before him.

May we never forget!

No comments: